Strontium oxide (SrO) is a binary compound that is made up of strontium and oxygen. It is a white, odorless, and non-toxic powder that is commonly used in a variety of applications due to its unique properties. In this article, we will discuss the applications of strontium oxide and the recent research that has been done in this field.
Properties of Strontium Oxide: Strontium oxide is a highly refractory material that is stable at high temperatures. It has a high melting point of 2430 °C and a boiling point of 3200 °C. Strontium oxide is an excellent electrical insulator and has a high dielectric constant of 5.8. It is also a good thermal conductor and has a thermal conductivity of 12.5 W/mK.
Applications of Strontium Oxide:
- Glass Manufacturing: Strontium oxide is used in the manufacturing of high-index glass for lenses and prisms due to its high refractive index. It is also used in the production of CRT (cathode ray tube) glass for televisions and computer monitors.
- Fireworks: Strontium oxide is used in fireworks to produce red-colored flames.
- Catalysts: Strontium oxide is used as a catalyst in the production of hydrogen from steam.
- Battery Technology: Strontium oxide is used as a solid electrolyte in the development of solid oxide fuel cells.
- Medical Applications: Strontium oxide has been shown to promote bone growth and is being researched for use in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- A study published in the Journal of Hazardous Materials found that strontium oxide nanoparticles could be used as an effective adsorbent for the removal of hexavalent chromium from wastewater.
- Researchers at the University of Notre Dame have used strontium oxide nanoparticles to develop a new type of high-temperature thermal energy storage system.
- A study published in the Journal of Alloys and Compounds found that strontium oxide nanoparticles could be used as an effective catalyst in the production of biodiesel from waste cooking oil.
Most Cited Papers:
- R. S. Subbiah and S. Sathish, “Investigation on the physical and chemical properties of strontium oxide thin films deposited by spray pyrolysis,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 1351-1357, 2018.
- K. Li et al., “Efficient degradation of organic pollutants over strontium oxide nanocubes under visible light irradiation,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 513, pp. 580-587, 2018.
- F. Y. Fu et al., “Strontium oxide nanoparticles: highly efficient adsorbent for removal of hexavalent chromium from wastewater,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 315, pp. 239-247, 2016.
Keywords: Strontium oxide, glass manufacturing, catalysts, thermal energy storage, solid oxide fuel cells, bone growth, wastewater treatment, nanoparticles.